Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The God Box (2007) - Alex Sanchez



The God Box (2007) – Alex Sanchez

Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing

224 pages, ISBN 9781416908999

Awards

New York Public Library 2008 “Book for the Teen Age”





Annotation: High school senior Paul’s faith is challenged when a new student arrives, Manuel, who claims to be both a Christian and gay.

Booktalk: “‘Sex and religion don’t mix,’ my Grandma once told me. ‘The church should stay out of people’s pants.’ That random memory flashed through my mind the first morning of senior year, as I tugged my red rubber WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? wristband - snap! - against my wrist. I hoped the sting would help me forget the sex dream that had woken me. But it didn’t.”

The opening of The God Box sets the stage for all sorts of dilemmas for Paul. Not only is he beginning to question his long-term relationship with his girlfriend Angie, he’s also trying to figure out Manuel, the new kid in school. Manuel claims to be both gay and a Christian, but Paul knows that just can’t be right. Or can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment